The internet is awash with tales of how the Earth will end in December 2012. There are books, viral videos, there’s a Hollywood film, scare stories on the news, and you can even buy survival guides.
Well don’t be. It’s all nonsense.
Don’t believe me? Well read the following 20 points, then relax.
These are based on my 2012 research, if you’re unsure about anything click on the link and you’ll be taken to the relevant post.
1. The Maya had more than one calendar, but none of them end in 2012. A new cycle will begin on the 21st of December 2012, this would be a time of celebration for the Maya, but nothing more would be expected to happen. (More?)
2. The Maya NEVER predicted the end of the world. Not once. (More?)
3. Mayan writings mention dates after 2012, some far into our future. (More?)
4. The Maya living today aren’t predicting the end of the world, and they’re sick of all this stupidity. It’s offensive to their beliefs and history. (More?)
5. Planet X/Nibiru does NOT exist, if it did, you would be able to see it in the sky by now. Go and check. You won’t see it. (More?)
6. Not one astronomer, or any other kind of scientist, has ever verified Nibiru’s existence. (More?)
7. No ancient civilization ever mentioned Nibiru. (More?)
8. There will be no cosmic alignments on the 21st of December 2012. (More?)
9. Even if there was a cosmic alignment, this would have no effect on the Earth, it doesn’t matter if the alignment is with Jupiter, a black hole, or a galaxy, these objects are too far away to have any effect on the Earth. (More?)
10. Solar storms created by solar flares happen all of the time; they usually have little effect on us, although they can damage satellites. (More?)
11. There will NOT be a solar maximum in December 2012; it will be in May 2013, and NASA predicts it will be a small one. (More?)
12. We’ve lived through tens of thousands of solar maximums, we’re still here. (More?)
13. Our survival as a species could be threatened by an asteroid or comet colliding with the Earth, but it’s extremely unlikely to happen in 2012. (More?)
14. A polar shift is impossible; it’s a dead scientific idea, continents move very slowly as explained by the theory of plate tectonics. (More?)
15. Geomagnetic polar reversals do occur, but they take hundreds of thousands of years to complete, do not affect the position of the continents and do not harm life on Earth. (More?)
16. Super volcanoes are real and could potentially be dangerous for humanity, but they’re extremely rare, and the Yellowstone Park volcano is not due to blow. It may not blow for millions of years. (More?)
17. Just because lots of people are mentioning 2012 does not mean its real, it’s a fun idea, but nothing to be worried about. (More?)
18. You probably can’t trust your government all of the time, but you can trust scientists; they know their stuff and they don’t like lying. None of them believe in 2012. (More?)
19. Lots of people are making money out of selling 2012 books, movies and other products. These people are lying to you to get your money. Don’t fall for it. (More?)
20. People are always predicting the end of the world, go and google it, how many predictions can you find that the world will end in 2010? How about in 2000?
Still not convinced? Then tell me why in the comments below.